all photos Visit Corpus Christi unless otherwise indicated
There’s a new way to see Downtown Corpus Christi and the glorious bay: the Bike Corpus Christi bike-share program! Seven shiny new stations loaded with a total of 40 brand-spankin’ new bikes are now available for on-demand, local use thanks to an expansive new program launched by the Downtown Management District and bike-share program provider Zagster, Inc.
Here are 5 great reasons to join up when you visit Corpus Christi:
1. Convenient and Easy on the Wallet (There’s an App for That!)
If you have a credit card and can use an app or send a text (and are at least 18 years old) you may ride. Simply download the app (or send a text) to sign up.
There are three types of memberships: Hourly, Monthly or Annual (frequent visitors enjoy a price-break, cha-ching!). The first hour is free and only $3 per hour after that. Once you sign up, simply click on the app to acquire a bike for use and pay via credit card. When you’re finished, return the bike to one of the seven stations.
In the event of unforeseen issues, the Zagster folks provide 24/7 customer support via phone or email.
2. Fitness: Bikes Are Basically Gyms on Wheels
Vacations interrupt fitness regimens. Sure, you could use the gym – if your lodging comes with one. But unless you really crave a hotel work-out room or can’t live without your morning Matt Lauer TV fix, whisking around the Corpus Christi Bayfront with the wind whipping through your hair and your heart pumping to the beat of your pedaling feet can’t be beat!
Even the most average cyclist can knock out 500 calories in an hour at a very moderate, sightseeing pace.
3. The Bikes are Snazzy
photo by Zagster
Meet the Zagster 8, a comfortable, stylish and practical 7-gear cruiser bike designed for regular use by folks of all shapes and sizes. The seat easily adjusts to suit a variety of riders, and the bike features a handy front basket for carrying all those souvenirs you’ll be collecting, as well as a bell, reflectors, fenders, a chain guard, U-lock and lights.
4. They’re Everywhere You Want to Be (Near Ample Parking)
art by Zagster and Google Maps
Okay, maybe you don’t know Corpus Christi too well, and you don’t want to be too far from your personal ride, rent-a-car, what have you. Good news: The 7 Bike Corpus Christi bike-share stations are all within strolling distance of ample automobile parking (5 are right on the bay!).
All stations are within a 2-mile radius. Check the map to see which stop makes the most sense as your parking/bike-share headquarters.
5. See Corpus Christi on Human Scale
Without the hassle of having a car to park, you may:
- Stop and take a picture, talk to the locals or simply smell the roses.
- Really see the architectural wonders of Ocean Drive and the rest of downtown up-close: Houses, waterfront parks, public art, cool old-school apartments and motels, condos and yes, even mansions are there at eye-level for you to enjoy.
- Be spontaneous! Grab a bite or a quick cocktail, without the need to drive around in circles looking for parking.
- Pay no mind to those commuters as you whiz right by the lines of cars.
So get down here, hop on board one of these bike-share beauts and prepare to fill your senses with some of the best vistas and sightseeing opportunities offered in the Coastal Bend.